Mini Caprese Bites
1 pt. grape tomatoes, halved
10 to 14 fresh small mozzarella cheese balls, cut into thirds*
32 (4-inch) wooden skewers/ toothpicks
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
Gray salt and pepper to taste
1. Thread 1 tomato half, 1 piece of cheese, and another tomato half onto each skewer. Place skewers in a shallow serving dish.
2. Whisk together oil and next 3 ingredients. Drizzle oil mixture over skewers; sprinkle with basil and salt and pepper to taste.
*1 (8-oz.) package fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, may be substituted.
Carrot and Zucchini Pancakes with Basil Chive Cream 1
For Basil Chive Cream:
¾ cup sour cream or plain Greek
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Salt to taste
In a bowl, combine sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, chopped basil, chives and salt.
2 zucchini, grated
2 carrots, grated
1¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup almond flour
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 egg whites
Shred zucchini and carrots. Place together in a colander and toss with salt. Let sit 20 minutes so moisture can release from veggies. Then, take a handful of the zucchini and carrot mixture and squeeze hard to remove all the liquid. Transfer the drained veggies to a large bowl and combine with flour, egg whites (*can be beaten into stiff peak, then folded in) and pepper.
In a non-stick or cast-iron pan, heat approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is shimmery, add about ¼ cup zucchini-carrot mixture and immediately press flat with spatula. Cook until golden on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side (or to desired crispness). Transfer cooked pancakes to paper towel to drain excess oil.
Serve hot with a dollop of Basil Chive Cream.
Mini Spinach Frittatas
1 cup Ricotta
3/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan Cheese
2/3 cup chopped mushrooms
1 10 oz. package frozen, chopped spinach- thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon gray sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
24 slices pepperoni (nitrate free!)
In a small bowl combine first eight ingredients. Place a slice of pepperoni in each of 24 greased miniature muffin cups. Fill muffin cups three-fourths full with cheese mixture.
Bake at 375˚ for 20-25 minutes or until completely set. Carefully run a knife around edges of muffin cups to loosen. Serve warm.
Bacon Wrapped Olives
1lb of bacon (cleanest you can afford, pastured is best! a little less is fine, you may have extras)
~30 olives, mix of black and green, or just black
1 tsp coconut sugar (optional)*
1. Fill 2 small bowls with water. In one, soak the olives, and in the other, soak the toothpicks. Let soak for 30+ min. This is to reduce saltiness / oiliness of the olives! also to make sure your toothpicks don’t light on fire.
2. Rinse the olives and strain the toothpicks.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Cut the bacon into 2 inch pieces.
5. Wrap each olive with 1 piece of the bacon, secure with a toothpick, and set on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
6. Repeat for all olives. Bake for 15 minutes, remove, sprinkle lightly with the coconut sugar, and return back to oven for another 10 – 15 minutes (check for level of crispiness! I’m sure different bacons have different cooking times)
Serve immediately, or if reheating is necessary pop in the oven at the same temperature for 5 minutes.
*skip the sprinkle of sugar and these are 21DSD friendly as long as you are using a good bacon!*